Sunday, October 27, 2013

Just a Mom

I don’t know about you but I find politics to be, well… boring.  Just saying.

Who am I?  My favorite answer to that question is that I am “just a mom.”  In November my husband and I will have been married 25 years and we have three children.  When our middle child was getting ready to go to college she was lamenting about the fact that she didn’t know what she wanted to major in and told me she didn’t want to be “just a mom” like me.  Of course, that statement felt like a sucker punch to the belly and caused me to wonder if we made the right choices while raising our family… including our 9 year stint homeschooling.  Our trial and error parenting style would probably most accurately be summed up by handing out I SURVIVED buttons to all involved!

Back to politics…  I have to admit that I am guilty of voter apathy and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone.  I’m not going to lie.  For me, keeping up with the who’s who and issues is not fun.  It’s a lot of work!  I go to the trouble every four years during the presidential elections but...  the rest of the time, no.  If you were to liken me to someone running a race I would not be the person that trained for it… I’d be the person on the side of the road requiring the attention of paramedics. As with any discipline there needs to be consistency and I am consistently inconsistent.  When I hear someone say their vote doesn’t matter so they don’t bother I always say that isn’t true.  But, do my actions back that up?

How many times has a law been passed or a candidate been voted into office and you asked yourself how that could have possibly happened?  It’s easy for things to slide through when people are not paying attention.  On a local level I am often unaware.  I know it is important to cast your vote wisely so a lot of times I have just skipped voting for those issues and candidates I didn’t feel I had enough knowledge of rather than risk making a mistake.  I’ve also asked my husband who he thought I should vote for and why.  The Lazy Lady way to feel like I’m doing my civic duty and get my I Voted flag sticker to proudly display on my chest the day I visit the polls.

I am concerned about the direction our country is headed in.  I don’t want my children and future grandchildren to lose the freedoms that we’ve known.  It seems like people are lying down and unwilling to fight for what is right in a reluctant acceptance of what they see as the inevitable.  But, what can I do?  I’m “just a mom.”

When I look in the mirror I don’t want to see the appearance of someone who is a good citizen.  I want to see someone who truly lives out her convictions.  My vote matters and I need to value that vote.  Those big elections every four years are a reflection of the many battles fought and won across our nation during the years in between.  I’m waking up and I smell coffee!

Oh, and that daughter I was telling you about?  She’s married now and working on her Masters of Education… and talking about the day when she can become a mom.  I hope when she holds her baby for the first time she changes her mind and decides to be “just a mom” like me.

Published in Common Sense News August 2013

1 comment:

Susanne said...

Being "just a mom" is challenging! Good message here.