Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Art of Becoming Informed Coffee Bean Style

Good Lord. I have spent the morning trying to figure out what to post. Newsmax sent out a plea from one of their sponsors, The Susan B. Anthony List, asking for people to sign this petition to stop an abortion bailout.

Well... I thought, Is Congress voting on bail out money for Planned Parenthood? What? I wanted to look at this 55 page proposal that was given to Obama in November laying out what they would like to see him do in his first 100 days.

Did y'all know that the main page of Change.org is no longer up? With a couple more minutes of digging I was able to find the original Advancing Reproductive Rights Rights and Health in a New Administration document. It definitely makes for some interesting reading.

Now, as far as I'm aware, this sort of money disbursement was removed from the original stimulus plan. However, I'm not clear as to what all is in the plan that passed. Is anyone yet?

On January 23, 2009, one day after the 36th anniversary of Roe v Wade, President Obama lifted the Mexico City policy, a Reagan-era policy that prohibits taxpayer funds from going to organizations that promote or perform abortions overseas. It had previously been revoked by President Clinton and then re-instated by President G.W. Bush.

So... I was wondering what kind of money has already been released or if that has yet to be voted on. I went to Congress.org... some women's rights watchdog sites, Planned Parenthood. I looked through bills... I tried to find a congressional legislation schedule...

My brain is all flip floppin' around and I can't see straight. I've got dishes to do, laundry to fold and toilets to clean. Why is it so hard to find certain information? Holey Moley! I am overwhelmed by the gaping holes in my understanding of what is going on in this country.

What do y'all know? Is there a Cliff Notes version of current events? Somebody help me!

3 comments:

Two Dogs said...

According to Joe Gaffetastic, the website "number" is recovery.org.

Everything that Collins, Snow, and Specter "negotiated" out, went right back in during conference.

One Salient Oversight said...

Just checked the actual site. It says:

Abortion groups have submitted their 50 page proposal to the Obama-Biden transition team..

Notice it says "TRANSITION TEAM", in other words it was delivered to Obama/Biden before inauguration.

So it probably has little or nothing to do with the money he's spending now.

Coffee Bean said...

Hey OSO,

Yes, that was submitted to the transition team in November. It is a wish list of sorts. The original stimulus package had the money for this wish list in it. There was an outcry and some of it was taken out. I am just trying to get a handle of where things are at with this issue. I'd like to know what has been okay'd and/or if there's anything coming related to it.

I have a major problem with tax dollars being used to fund abortion... here in the states as well as abroad. What business does the United States have taking money from its citizens to fund abortions all over the world? That is just insane to me! Especially given the financial trouble we are in.