Thursday, January 8, 2009

The 2009 Legislative Season

The 2009 Legislative Season opened here in Colorado this week. I've decided that this year I am going to be paying close attention to what is going on up at our capitol. Fortunately, we have a wonderful gal here who co-wrote Colorado state homeschool law and is a constant presence up at the capitol throughout the season and sends out news regularly. We no longer homeschool but do support parents' rights to do so.

I just spent too much time reading all sorts of things about some bills that were passed during the last legislative season. Namely, the "bathroom bill" and the "bible ban." I took the time to read both sides of the issues and am now cross eyed. It is interesting when you read the actual bill and then what both sides have taken from it. I can see how these passed but I can also see the concern over the wording in certain parts. All it takes is one case to set a precedent. I wonder what this year will hold.

I have a hard time focusing on local politics. We've moved around so much and it takes time to get things figured out. There really are differences between state and national politics and I feel I've been pretty unbalanced in this area.

Anything interesting coming up in your states?

6 comments:

Two Dogs said...

Since like pretty much all states, ours is run by Democrats, we have the typical fare. Let's raise taxes everywhere to make up for the lack of revenue. For some reason, we only elect morons to local government positions, just like everywhere else.

The worst proposal that I have seen in the last five years was the bill to force metal recyclers to store the purchased material for six months. This was a complete and total waste of time and money that no one but a very few reps wanted.

BLBeamer said...

I really haven't started paying attention to the goings-on in Olympia, but I am aware there are serious budget concerns.

If the past is any indication, the gubner and the legislature will threaten the following unless taxes get raised:

1. All rapists, murderers and child molesters will have to be released from jail.
2. The Huskies will have to play all their games in Poulsbo. The Cougars will have to play in Chewelah.
3. Mt. Rainier will be moved to California.

However, no critical government services will be affected, so welfare recipients will still be able to buy lottery tickets 24/7.

Two Dogs said...

BLBeamer's comment reminding me of the critical government employees.

When the Clinton administration's incompetence shut the government down a bunch of years ago, the government functioned still. They simply sent the "non-critical" employees home. I thought long about what that really meant and came to the only conclusions that could be understood. The government is stupid.

Roland Hulme said...

Here in New Jersey, we're still fighting a losing battle with Illinois for the conveted title of 'Most Corrupt State.'

Two Dogs said...

Good luck with that Roland, I do not think that your chances are that good. Illinois gave us the Obamessiah.

Jaye said...

CB,
I am new reader I just wanted to say hi.

I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy reading your blog, even though I whole heartily disagree with many of your ideas.

I appreciate the opportunity to see the other side of the story without getting bogged down in a lot of negativity. I think you do a great job of presenting your ideas and thoughts.

Jaye