Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remember

It's hard to believe that the 9/11 attacks were seven years ago. Some days it seems like it was just yesterday and other days it seems like a lifetime ago...

September 11th also happens to be my husband's birthday. We were living in Mississippi in 2001. I had gone back to sleep after my husband left for work and woke to the sound of the phone ringing next to me. It was my husband and he told me to go turn on the TV. His voice sounded strange and once the images were before me I understood why. We didn't know anyone that was affected by the attacks yet we wept. My birthday was the next day. We didn't celebrate that year. Instead we met at our church during lunch time that first week and prayed. We waited with the rest of the nation to hear how this could have happened. For the first time in our lives we felt uncertain of our safety in this country.

We are in the midst of a flurry of political activity as the election nears. Each day brings a new drama. People choose their sides and then argue with whoever is willing... and some who are not. Hypocrisy reigns as accusations fly. Some lose the ability to step back to see the larger picture as others turn their backs and bury their heads in the sand. Some venemously strike out with no thought to the damage that will be done. Others throw up their hands and say there is no point.

For today, the anniversary of 9/11, we should remember that united we stand, divided we fall.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow... 7 years! We all will remember this day for years to come.

I so much appreciate this blog! In fact, though I don't always comment (I should to win that Starbucks card!) I read often. You have met a need for me - thank you!

I have added a link to your blog on my blog - because I nominated you for a blog award.

Even if you don't want to do the whole thing of choosing 7 other blogs to nominate, at least come and see the post and pick up your award!

Thanks, and God bless!!!
~Melanie

http://thecreatorspalette.blogspot.com

Bogart in P Towne said...

A time-out just like the candidates...cool-yo.

I spent 9/11/01 on my friend's couch...3 of us that carpooled every day sat in his house, transfixed by what we were seeing. I still remember the sick feeling.