Monday, September 1, 2008

Palin to be a Grandma

It was announced that Sarah Palin's 17 year old daughter is pregnant. The kids are planning on getting married and having the baby.

Questions:

1. What do you think about that?

2. Do you think this will affect people's decisions negatively/positively?

Two Dogs answers:

1. My heart goes out to them, hopefully the young man is built pretty much the same way that Bristol's folks are. Personally, I am not as disappointed as her parents probably are, but yes, I am disappointed. Does it change my opinion of her mother? Not in the least. I am pretty sure that Sarah was pregnant before she got married, too. And that has turned out swimmingly. Maybe Barry thinks that Bristol is getting punished with a baby, but I do not share that opinion. I also think that people in the normal areas of the country mature more quickly than the idiots on Manhattan or in Hyde Park.

2. There are some folks that will have a negative opinion of that, but I think the percentage will be small. Morons will not have their opinions changed because they need Barry to save them from themselves.

An aside: Do you think that Todd Palin getting a DUI twenty-four years ago has a bearing on the election or perception of Sarah? Personally, I cannot imagine anyone living in Alaska during the darker months NOT getting a DUI. I used to drink at sundown, how could I regulate my drinking clock? They would have to lock me up for four months. I gots ta have sum lights and sum darks.

*I don't know why it would. How many years ago was it that Ted Kennedy was in that accident where the woman died?

One Salient Oversight answers:

If a friend gave birth to a child with a disability requiring constant attention, while having a teenage daughter pregnant, I would probably ask them to reconsider having a dual income family.

If Palin continues to run as VP, then I think she may be neglecting her important family life.

BLBeamer answers:

1. Congratulations to the Palins on their new grandchild. I hope their daughter's marriage succeeds.

2. I don't think it will affect anyone's decision. I think those who were likely to vote for McCain will vote for him despite this and those who oppose McCain will use this as just one more reason to vote for Obama.

Liam answers:

1. What do you think about that?

I don't really care other than the irony that her mom supports "abstinence only" sex ed in schools... Yeah, Gov, how's that workin' out for you?

2. Do you think this will affect people's decisions negatively/positively?

I don't think it'll affect anything one way or another, other than being one of a hundred straws that broke the camels back...

Roland answers:

I think it can't help but reflect badly on her, especially since she supports 'abstinence only' sex education. Clearly, it didn't work in Bristol's case (like it doesn't work all across America.)

I like and admire Sarah Palin a lot, but I have to admit I felt like agreeing with what Salient wrote:"If a friend gave birth to a child with a disability requiring constant attention, while having a teenage daughter pregnant, I would probably ask them to reconsider having a dual income family."

12 comments:

The Accidental Housewife said...

It does not change my decision. As we all know once our children reach a certain age all we can do is hope we have done everything we can. Palin herself did not go out and get pregnant by someone other than her husband. So it doesn't matter to me.

Much like Jimmy Carter having an alcoholic brother didn't matter to me, they aren't running for office.

Rick said...

I think her detractors will use it against her - suggesting that her 17 year old daughter felt obligated to have the child because of her mother's influence.

It doesn't change my opinion - it's all too frequent, though I would suggest that they want until the child is at least one before they get married. It's been my experience that a baby is not enough reason for teens to get married.

Melanie said...

I think I agree with Rick. Both about getting married and that those who oppose her will try to use it against her.

I don't think the fact will change my mind about her - though I know nothing of her yet to change.

I always question and wonder if a parent could have helped avoid this situations. But I am smart enough to know that, while sometimes that is true, a teenage is fully capable of their own decisions even with the best of parents!

I'm much more interested in learning about her politically than about her daughter.

Becky said...

I believe that it is extremely sexist for people to assert that it is in any way Palin's fault (neglecting her family, etc)...no one blames the dad for not being a part of the family if he is off working like a dog and supporting a family.

It takes more than just a mama to raise the family, and with kids in all different age ranges, it is my bet that the special needs child is extremely well cared for and loved and is faring better than he would if he was an only child being watched by mom 24/7.

Also...a lot of times, the reason young girls seek sexual intimacy is because they don't have a close, nurturing, and solid relationship with a father or father figure. So instead of asking what Sarah's influence on the daughter (praise God that she is not asking her daughter to abort) has been, let's wonder if it had something to do with a dad who didn't nurture the girls like he needed to.

Not that I am placing blame...because we all know that apples do often fall far from the tree...in spite of it being a really strong, happy, healthy tree!

I don't think this will affect the decisions of the Repubs...but it will light the fire of debate as it already has...with the Dems.

That is the nature of the beast.

I say congrats on being a grandma...and pray that the young kids embarking on marriage under these circumstances will have counseling and support from all types of sources.

The Maid

Liam said...

1. What do you think about that?

I don't really care other than the irony that her mom supports "abstinence only" sex ed in schools... Yeah, Gov, how's that workin' out for you?

2. Do you think this will affect people's decisions negatively/positively?

I don't think it'll affect anything one way or another, other than being one of a hundred straws that broke the camels back...

Two Dogs said...

I just have to say before someone makes the "abstinence only" comment, it's kinda hard to get pregnant when you follow that rule.

Two Dogs said...

Dang, talk about ironic.

Liam said...

Teaching abstinence in sex ed isn't bad... but ONLY teaching abstinence and not teaching anything else just ends up leaving the kids with NO information in which case they find out for themselves... and... well...

Of course the parents COULD do it... but most don't or won't.

Two Dogs said...

Honestly, I know of not one single set of parents that have not talked to their kids about sex and pregnancy. Abstinence only education has been completely dismantled by the permissive attitudes toward sex that permeates our society. And yes, I am guilty of that attitude as well. But, teaching fourth graders to use condoms and birth control is insane.

BLBeamer said...

Liam - Given the disgraceful illegitimacy rate in the US, how's traditional non-abstinence sex-ed working out for you?

:)

muffintop said...

1. I think it's easy to judge the parents for the mistakes their children make. Surely, Sarah Palin & her husband have made mistakes in their parenting - and they'd probably be the first to admit it. But, even if they've done a BETTER job than the rest of us, a 17-year-old girl is going to find a way to do what she's going to do, regardless. I think it is fantastic that they are going to have the baby, and I hope that they'll receive the much needed support and counseling to help them through having a child as well as getting married.

2. I cannot imagine dealing with this with my own child (my child is only 8 months old!) - let alone dealing with this in front of a nation. I'm hoping to be encouraged by the compassion & character that will be shown by Governor Palin as a mother. We are a very judgmental people though, so I think the fact that her daughter got pregnant may affect people's decisions negatively.

Becky said...

Did it ever occur to any of the readers out there that Palin's daughter might have tried to get pregnant?

Do you know how many teenage girls I know that say they want a baby...right now? Despite it being absolutely DUMB for them to say it, it is even dumber for them to follow through on it...but I KNOW that many young girls get pregnant because they WANT to.

Seriously...they want to know what it feels like to be pregnant, to get that kind of attention, to "share" a connection that is really deep with a boyfriend they are trying to hold onto?

This kind of pregnancy is not always "failed" birth control...or abstinence education not working...it is the child choosing to behave rebelliously...and what more socially acceptable way than to have sex and get pregnant.

Do you realize how much media glorifies pregnancy and birth and how every celebrity that gets knocked up suddenly becomes even more newsworthy?

This is a cultural issue as much as it is a family issue...

and doggone it...I am sick and tired of people blaming "abstinence ed" when pregnancies happen...because I can guarantee that if we throw condoms and other birth control out there left and right, this will still be a cultural problem affecting many households, Republican and Democratic alike.

The Maid