Monday, September 1, 2008

Meet BLBeamer

I was orphaned at age 41. I am married (30 years last month) to my high school sweetheart who happily also happens to be the finest woman in the world. We have one son who lives in central Washington about 120 miles from us. I am a Finance manager at a large aerospace company. I have an MBA from a small private college in Washington state. One of my hobbies used to be writing letters to the editor and counting coup when I got published. I've had letters published in the newspapers Seattle P-I, Tacoma News Tribune, Spokane Spokesman-Review and the magazines Liberty, National Geographic and I think also one affiliated with the Christian Science Monitor whose title escapes me. One additional bit of info may or may not prove of interest: I started and have left unfinished a study guide on Ludwig von Mises' magnum opus Human Action. This is a difficult book to plow through but I have found his insights into economics/human behavior to be illuminating. I am about 1/3 through the study guide. I don't know if I will ever finish it.

I'm happy to contribute comments to your blog when the feeling strikes me and time allows, but I don't think it would be fair to you (or my wife) if I committed to anything on a regular basis.

Personally, I have minimal interest in politics, per se, but I do have a high degree of interest in living my life without the government overly complicating it for me and others. My friend (One Salient Oversight) thinks that means I don't believe there is a role for the government in society. He's wrong, but I think he has a much higher level of confidence in government's ability to improve our lives, or in the altruistic impulses of politicians. We argue about that - a lot!


BLBeamer did not think a quote of Thomas Jefferson's that I posted here sounded like Thomas Jefferson. I did some checking and it was listed as a Jefferson quote here. He then went on to inquire about the quote by contacting the Jefferson Library and was told that it was, in fact, NOT a quote of Jefferson's. I was beyond impressed! I look forward to him sharing his views as he is able!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Ah - I love a person who is so passionate they will go to great lengths to find the true answer!

These people you have found to chime in will be fun to listen to Coffee Bean!

One Salient Oversight said...

There are so many quotes around from America's founding fathers that there's bound to be a whole mishmash of illegitimate ones.

Oh well, as Karl Marx once said, "Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh."

;)