Thursday, September 4, 2008

Guest Teen Post

The following opinion was written by Elysa's oldest child, 14 year old (15 in Nov) "A." I am quite fond of this girl. When she was 5 and my son was 6, "A" came up to me after church on Sunday and informed me that my son, along with the other boys, would not allow her in their club and that they were hogging the play equipment. I told her to tell my son that I said to let her on the equipment. She came back and told me that my son had hit her. I went and got my son and had a little talk with him. He refused to agree to tell her he was sorry because he said he wasn't. I went over to the merry-go-round where "A" waiting and I told her that my son wasn't going to apologize right then but that he would soon and that he would be really sorry when he did. She looked at me in all seriousness and said, "Good! If you allow him to act this way he will grow up to be a man who abuses women!" She was 5 years old!!!

Politics, or, We Don't Know Anything Anyway

This political year has been of special interest to many people this year. History has been made several times over. Not only do we have the first big contender for presidency of African heritage, but also, a woman has been picked as the Vice Prez for the other big contender.

Oh yeah, you know who I'm talking 'bout now. Barak Obama and Sara Palin.

Obama had his speech-when was it?-a week ago? *yawn* It was soo boring. You'd think that someone who's had so much of his running steam based off his likability and eloquence would at least have an interesting speech. But no, that was too much for Obama at his acceptance speech. Now, my family and I are not Obama supporters or Dems, or even liberal. We're pretty core-line conservative, but I at least wanted to hear if Obama could say anything interesting and was disappointed when he didn't. Now, I know I'm too young to vote in this election. But I'll be of voting age next time, and if Obama wants to run again, he should be adding my generation into his calculations. And actually many of my friends and peers have watched and payed some attention to this race. If for nothing else, 'cause Obama's black and Palin's a woman.

Yes, many of my peers who wouldn't be able to tell you any candidates during any previous race have payed a good amount of attention to this race. It's interesting to us. Man against woman, minorities against majorities, rich against poor, oh wait, forgive me, both candidates are rich (regardless of what Obama tries to say.). It's the ultimate no-no race. It's pulling up all the taboos you're supposed to leave untouched. Everything from racial and gender issues, to teen pregnancy and the handicapped.

Which brings me to another thing. The media's having this freaking feeding-frenzy over Sara Palin's daughter being pregnant at seventeen. Why? I mean, it's not like Palin told her daughter, "Go have a good time getting knocked up tonight dear!" It was her daughter's choice. She's seventeen. More than capable to realize what she's doing and what the consequences are. She's dealing with enough, so is it too much to ask for them to leave the poor girl out of it? Yes of course it is. This is politics after all. Just as vicious as Hollywood, with far more important things in the balance.

Now I know that Sara Palin isn't the one up for presidential candidacy, but I'm sorry John McCain is boring. Yeah, he's got the whole soldier-and-POW thing goin' for him but, let's be honest here, there's nothing about him that just smacks you from the first and makes you go "Wow. That's really different.". Now, maybe he has something in his speeches or policies that is cool or special or something, but I am after all a teenager. And everyone knows we don't pay any attention to politics

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh how proud I am of my niece! Very eloquently written A! Now go back to your bubble gum chewing and your boy watching and leave the politics to us adults. *winks*

Amber said...

It's so nice to see a teenager write such a well put-together and thought out essay. I'm glad that you have taken the time to pay attention to the political on-goings. Well done!

BLBeamer said...

Why is it that the professional commentators sound so childish, and this child sounds so professional?

Brenda said...

Wow! I'm impressed you are interested in politics and forming opinions. Keep it up. Maybe we'll be voting for you some day.

One Salient Oversight said...

I just need to remind people that there is a bit of disconnect going on here. I'm not aiming at anyone personally, but I will point out the following:

When Jamie Lyn Spears got pregnant last year the response from the conservative side of politics was ridicule. Moreover, the parents were blamed, especially her mother.

The fact that the same people who criticised the Spears family are the same defending the Palin family is problematic in my opinion.

Of course there are probably progressives who have double standards too. I'm not saying progressives rule and conservatives are horrible, but I do think that in this particular case there is a definite double standard being seen.

Coffee Bean said...

Well OSO... I never said any of those things about the Spears. But, there is a double standard, on both sides of the aisle. Try to see people as individuals instead of some big unthinking mass.

BLBeamer said...

I'd like to know how OSO knows who the critics of Spears were and how he was able to differentiate them from those who are defending Palin.

I am second to no one in my admiration of OSO's powers, but that seems to be a bit much. It is an unprovable claim. Not that one could not find certain individuals who did what OSO said, but to extrapolate to the public at large is not really fair.

Liam said...

blbeamer: The same idiot said these things months apart:

"Millions of American families are dealing with teenage pregnancy and
so long as society doesn't have to support the mother, father or baby,
it is a personal matter... It is true some Americans will judge
the Palin Family... For the sake of her and her family I hope
things calm down..."

"On 'Pinhead Front', 16yr old Jamie Lynn Spears is pregnant. The sister of Britney Spears says she is shocked, I bet. Here the blame falls primarily on the parents of the girl. Obviously they have little control over her.
Incredible pinheads."

Well done Bill O'Reilly.

BLBeamer said...

Liam - Thank you. Just as I said, you found an individual who said the things that OSO described.

My issue, however, was OSO's seeming extrapolation of one blowhards' comments into a universal application.

I don't believe it is fair to jump to such conclusions based on a few visible and noisy blowhards.

If I misunderstood OSO's implication, and he was referring to a small number of specific individuals only, and not projecting his observation onto the much larger population, then both his and my comments haven't been worth the pixels we've already wasted on them.

Liam said...

blbeamer: O'Reilly isn't just "a blowhard"... he's THE blowhard. For many conservatives O'Reilly is the standard bearer for their movement and he's the highest rate cable news show.

BLBeamer said...

liam - I don't think O'Reilly is the only blowhard on tv. He's just the one with the highest rated tv show. The list of blowhards is quite long and pretty much covers the political spectrum.

Or by THE did you mean he is the prototypical blowhard?

Liam said...

I mean he's one of the most influential "talking head" in politics.