Monday, September 8, 2008

For "Palin Doesn't Get Me"

I received the following comment to my last post:

I find it offensive that your blog exists. Since the purpose of your blog is, as you say, to help educate your children and let them make up their own minds before they vote, why don't you tell them to go to the library and actually read instead of soliciting the opinions of random people whose credentials you have no idea about and whose knowledge is circumspect. When the hell did knowledge and merit go to hell in this country? The sad thing, in some ways, is your uneducated vote will count the same as mine even though I actually give a damn enough about this country to investigate the issues and create my own opinions.

Your website stands as an altar to the mediocrity that has besieged this country.

Pay attention to history, learn math to figure out how not to sign for idiotic mortgages, and study history in order to not repeat the mistakes of the past. Why don't you pass that on to your kids?

Yes, I am an ELITIST. I busted my butt in school so that I could go to an Ivy League college where 75% of the people were better off than me and I learned that I had to always keep learning in life. I then went to a top medical school. Thankfully, I'm back on the East Coast practicing surgery and saving lives. I googled "uneducated white women and Palin and idiots" and found your blog.

Dear "Palin Doesn't Get Me,"

My blog was never intended to upset anyone. The title of my blog is a bit tongue-in-cheek. I laid out my lack of credentials in my first post on this blog and am a community college drop out. Make no mistake though, I am far from uneducated. My children were taught U.S. History and U.S. Government by me. I take my vote seriously and have taught my children the same.

I have never wanted my children to just blindly follow what my husband and I have taught them. I want them to think for themselves. I want the decisions they make to have been made by going through a process of their own.

As much as I don't like it, this country is still just a two party system. I get so tired of the rhetoric from all sides. We've got people on the right proclaiming they know how those on the left think and the same from left to right. There is a lack of respect for those of differing views that permeates our society. I choose to see people as individuals rather than as part of a group where I've ignorantly decided what each of them believes. I am genuinely interested in why people believe what they do. That is something I want to pass on to my children.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by stating you are an elitist and that 75% of the people at your Ivy League school were better off than you were... ? You are obviously smart, have a strong desire to succeed and care about this country. Being a surgeon is a noble profession and saving lives is a blessing, both for your patients and for you.

I'd like to assure you that my vote will be an informed one. I am glad that my blog came up when you googled, "uneducated white women and Palin and idiots." Maybe you could stick around and give your opinion on the subjects I bring up and help educate rather than further divide.

God Bless.

9 comments:

One Salient Oversight said...

I have always found the title of your blog The Uneducated Housewife's Guide to Politics to be ironic. I've always understood it to refer to YOU, yet the way you have gone about organising your thoughts on the blog has been anything but uneducated.

Certainly there are things you personally don't know about. You're not unique on that front. The difference is that you seem to quite freely admit what you don't know and then, through blogging, express what you do know about something.

In the end it is a learning attitude - an attitude which says "I don't know everything but I'm willing to learn".

As for "Palin doesn't get me", all I can say is that he/she is not as "elitist" as he/she sounds. In fact, he/she sounds quite ignorant.

Stephanie said...

HAHA funny he is a surgeon. They are some of the most uptight, elitist jerks I ever worked for when I was a chaplain. I believe its a God complex. (lol) But seriously, surgeons need to have a strong personality to do what they do.. working under pressure, etc. But they generally have no bedside manner. Medical schools don't tech that. And now we all must suffer for it because it over flows into real life and punches US all in the gut. I think he needs some sensitivity training. Poor guy, that he has to live with himself and his poor attitude.

Roland Hulme said...

What an idiot that commentator was. Not to mention arrogant. I love the way they smugly threw in the 'ivy league' comment...

Winston Churchill said that the easiest way to talk anybody out of democracy was to spend five minutes with the average voter... I think that's true. I've certainly met lots of 'dumb' voters (who tell me that Obama's a muslim, Palin called Obama 'sambo' and other lies like that.)

But if there is the opposite of a dumb voter - it's you. You're open minded, willing to discuss and willing to change your mind.

If only ALL voters were like you!

The guy who left that comment was an idiot - fortunately his retarded comment neatly advertised that fact, so I wouldn't give it too much thought.

Two Dogs said...

Stephanie, if you think surgeons have a bit of a God complex, talk to an architect. A surgeon generally couldn't iron a shirt, but an architect simply assumes that the shirt is ironed.

And Google "elitist moron" and see what you get. 30,000,000 hits for Barry Obama.

CB, the reason this person felt the need to send this e-mail tells you that yes, the people that consider themselves the ruling class do not want the plebians to congregate. They simply want us little guys to accept that they know best for us and to do as we are told.

Sound like any certain political party?

Sarah Palin did not go to Hahvahd. Neither did anyone else that has done anything other than sit around and talk. I still call these people "deadbeats."

I wish my hate mail came scented.

Brenda said...

Hmmmm. Well lets hear it for freedom of speech. How simple minded to think any of us will make our decision on the election based on what we read in a blog. But it is great to discuss our opinions and agree or disagree. That's what makes America different than some other countries that do not have freedom of speech. I would not call him an elitist. Just opinionated.

BLBeamer said...

Two dogs - Thomas Sowell went to Harvard. And Columbia. And U of Chicago.

Rick said...

Oooowe - somebody needs a nap! Down boy (girl?). Get over your "tud" and play nice for once.

PS: Kelly - don't know if you saw it, but my latest post is about as political as I get. And in reference to the angry comment you received I'm wondering if it will be my last - I'm too sensitive to run a blog like this one.

Roland Hulme said...

"And Google "elitist moron" and see what you get. 30,000,000 hits for Barry Obama."

All posted by right wing propogandists.

Bogart in P Towne said...

The anger and venom that can so often come across is frustrating.